Thursday, June 26, 2014

Post Service Remembrance: Nick Parker

Words about Anne:

Anne was one of the most tolerant and inventive people I have ever known. When we were all small and out of school for the summer Anne would have to find ways to entertain us. Seven little people. Hester and Adam were really too small to count but they were there. Here are some of the activities that won't be in Good Housekeeping.
            One damp, gritty morning Anne put Dan, Guy, Rhys, Caitlin and me into the station wagon and drove us "miles" away. She gave us a map, pointed to a spot on it and said "We are here now and the house is there. You need to figure out how to walk home and I will see you later." Like a little platoon out on patrol we nodded our heads and watched as she drove off leaving us in some neighborhood in the shadow of the Blue Hills. We got home. I don't remember the actual trek. I do remember the feeling of accomplishment and a lingering feeling of how could you do this to us?
            Then of course there was the "Float down the Charles". Same cast of characters. Anne procured inner tubes and drove us to the upper reaches of the Charles. At an idyllic, grassy put-in point we climbed into our tubes and set off in the nearly imperceptible current. Anne drove off, again. It was pretty. Then we drifted into the lower section and were joined by first a few and then many little turds floating along with us to the Sea. Anne of course was aghast at the state of the river. She had no idea at the level of pollution. She said perhaps if we hadn't actually touched anything we would be fine. She suggested we not tell anyone what we saw perhaps with an eye out for a Social Service visit about child endangerment. I think Guy was the only one who got a skin disease. Anne insisted for years afterwards that we had the omnipresent babysitter, Bill Gucker, with us always and we were not abandoned by the side of the road or dumped into the Charles. Given seven little people with the unending summer stretched out before me I am sure I would have done the same - babysitter or not.
            At the other end of my long association with Anne, I was sitting in her bedroom armchair reading at about 6:30 while she slept. She was not supposed to be alone at this point. Anne opened her eyes, looked intently at me and asked,
            "Nicholas, is there frivolity downstairs?"
            "Yes"
            "Is there drinking?"
            "I believe there is."
            "Then I would like a Martini and people up here." Five minutes later there was a martini provided and many people in her bedroom for one of the last bittersweet cocktail parties. As usual she was entertaining people and making them feel very welcome.

            Anne was not my real mother but I often wish she was. I would have liked to inherit her grace, tolerance and dry sense of humor. I will miss her very much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment