Thursday, June 26, 2014

Post-Service Remembrance: Mopsy Mathews-Trigg

Mopsy’s thoughts on Annie

A long time ago I heard a Garrison Keiller monologue on the radio about a boy in Minnesota and his “Snow Home”. A “Snow Home” was the name for the family in town to which a rural school child had been assigned to stay, in the event of a sudden snowstorm preventing them from getting home. This boy never had to use his Snow Home, all big storms occurring on weekends, but regardless throughout his childhood he always felt a pervasive comfort just knowing it was there. Garrison concluded his story by saying that everyone, young or old, should have a “Snow Home” in their life, and for me that was the family here in Canton. But unlike the boy in the story I did get to go there, for comfort, refuge, family and fun. Never as often as I would have liked, but often enough over my life to impress upon me how lucky I was to have such a wonderful family.
My sisters and I were always welcomed. The warmth and love that Anne and Peter created in their home permeated every corner, every atom of air. We loved the bustle of life in the house, the geese, doves, bees, dogs, chickens and gaggle of cousins. We enjoyed startling the frogs in the pond, the wild croquet games on the lawn (which I always lost), jovial picnic dinners and quiet evening conversations around the fireplace.
As a child I was so happy that Anne married my uncle Peter, and I had heard one of Peter’s cousins saying that Anne was “The best thing that happened to our family”. Annie was so graceful and gracious. She fit in so smoothly, and the summers our families shared together with Mimi on Cape Cod were wonderful. As I grew up I appreciated Annie in different ways, and admired her so much as a woman and a mother. I wanted to be like her when I created my own family and home.

There is so much more to say that is impossible to put into words. I loved Annie dearly, and I am having a hard time accepting the triple loss of first Peter, now Anne, and with their passing my Canton “Snow Home”. I am waiting for the moment when I can look up from the loss and have hope. I know I will eventually be comforted by knowing how deeply Anne’s life has touched me and so many others, and what an incredible gift having her in our lives has been. Her influence is within me and within all of us, her children, family and friends. Annie shines out from within us, and we carry her spirit forward in the world and we will share her love with others as she has shared it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment