Thursday, June 26, 2014

Remembrance: by Hester Parker


Everyone else is going to regale you with charming, witty stories about moms wonderful qualities, so I thought that Id take on the role of airing some dirty laundry....But mom didn't have any dirty laundry.  but I do have some anecdotes about mom that involve dirty laundry. One of moms qualities was that you could take whatever she said at face value--there was no manipulating, guilt tripping or subterfuge. Except one time in the middle of a water fight during which the younger siblings were getting doused royally by the teenage Dan, and Guy and their ilk. Mom came out on the upstairs porch over there and yelled at Dan to come over immediately to empty his dirty laundry from his basket which was a large metal replica of a Pepsi can. Given the uncustomarily stern reproach in her tone (she hardly ever raised her voice) he dutifully slunk over with his ponytail lank between his tall shoulders hunched a little in contrition. And as soon as he got close enough, she upended the can on him, but it was full of water, not laundry. We all let up a cheer for mom for evening the score for us little ones, and in that moment my mom became my heroine. I felt this surge of pride and realization that she was willing to overthrow tyranny with wily cunning, that she was willing to resort to deception to help us Davids defeat Goliath and, given the twinkle in her eye and mischief in her smile, she thoroughly enjoyed it. She knew how to have fun and she had an excellent poker face to boot.

That poker face served her well in other respects, especially when it came to gently nudging others to change their behavior for the better without being harsh or overly critical. There were very few things that mom found to criticize in others, but she did very gently try to suggest ways in which I could improve my way of dealing with my own laundry both figurative and literal when I became an adult. But the lessons I learned from her are not all about laundry, she also demonstrated an amazing capacity to adapt to all sorts of situations that I subjected her to.

1. She and Dad tried to raise us as worldly and cultured people, and one of their ways of doing that was by routinely exposing us to something that was always prefaced by this familiar sound That Peter Pugh and Adam Shapiro will help me replicate 1&a 2 & a 3 hit it ...RONDEAU. Thank you Peter and Adam...sometimes trumpets speak louder than words.  This theme music from masterpiece theater felt like the soundtrack of our youth accompanying a steady diet of BBC programs on public television to foster in us a respectable appreciation for other cultures or maybe just Anglophilia. But mom& dad were willing to branch out and visit me in places that had never been featured in Masterpiece Theatre, not even as colonial outposts in the British Empire. They hadn't had much opportunity to travel while we were growing up, and given how much they loved their rituals and their home here, i was a bit apprehensive that they'd be high maintenance travelers, but they quickly adapted, were flexible, and easy-going yet still able to maintain some of their charming little rituals wherever they were. When they visited me in Senegal, at first mom wouldn't let go of my hand as we wove through the teeming markets of Dakar and I don't blame her but by the end of the trip, they were going off on their own misadventures with Adam as their  chaperon all of them speaking Franglais to get where they needed to go without me., At first they were leery of the food sold in the the makeshift cardboard and corrugated iron stands along the roads, but by the end of the trip they were delighted to drink coffee and eat baguettes in a fly infested stall by the ferry landing on the muddy banks of the Gambian river, and savored their cocktails with no ice in a mud hut in the steaming mangrove swamps  by  my village. Mom privately expressed to me her dismay at having to eat fish with the head nestled in the bowl alongside her meal, and she declined to choose the chicken in the backyard to be slaughtered for our dinner when we stopped in at a restaurant to order fried chicken but she used that poker faced grin that never let on her discomfort and no one in the village was aware. By the time mom & dad and adam joined me when I was living in Mexico several years later, mom didn't even need to use her grin as much as they were even more seasoned travelers, willing to 4 wheel up a mountain in Mexico on a dirt track in my truck with the back filled with my Mexican adoptive  family & friends, hiking the rest of the way up the mountain to join some hard drinking companions and cooking over an open fire in the wilderness with them.

Not only was she a surprisingly easy and flexible world traveler, but she also taught me about being accepting of all sorts of people  and sharing her loving presence with a diversity of friends.

2.When I asked her what her secret was for being so admired and adored by so many people, her advice to me was--Don’t antagonize people—I think that was intended specifically for me, so I’m trying, but she did treat everyone like they were her special friend. She found ways to connect with all of us children according to our interests. She took pottery with me when I was in elementary school and jazz dance class with me when I was a teenager, dancing jazzily with her signature shoulder shake in the back of the room). She also made the effort to find out exactly what each grandchild needed –In the case of my own children, for Adam, a shovel and pipes to build his own sewer line in the backyard, We are still unearthing remnants of Adam's makeshift sewer line and the shovel is still used to this day, even though it is tiny. And she has spent hours playing fiercely competitive games and doing various needle craft projects with my children and helping Alana organize her room. Now Alana cleans her room on her own, but there were a few years when Id ask her to clean her room and she say that she couldn't clean without Gma so it would just have to wait 3 months until Grandmas next trip out to California.
Even though she possessed this gentle acceptance and patience with me and my family's eccentricities andt amazing gift for diplomacy,

3. She didn't let everyone walk all over her. Mom taught me not to be afraid of identifying injustices that should be addressed even in the most unlikely of circumstances. My first memory of her explaining an instance of sexism was an incident which many of you undoubtedly have heard about regarding mom&dad getting lost while transporting a pig in a burlap sack in the back of the station wagon. By the time they were desperate enough to ask for directions, the pig had gotten loose and defecated in the way way back of the station wagon, but had subsequently gone to sleep in the pitch dark,so the only sign of life was the ripe smell of pig excrement. So, when the man whom they flagged down for directions leaned way in the passenger window, ignoring mom to speak directly to Dad, and getting a solid whiff of pig stench, Mom said he got his just desserts for being sexist and not trusting her to be able to navigate. She stayed true to her convictions when it most mattered to her and was my adviser in that respect, putting up with my numerous phone calls to get advice, recipes or just to gossip. WWMD What would mom do has become my mantra both personally and professionally especially when I find myself in sticky situations.

Amazingly, even in the last few weeks of her life, she was still taking care of us when we were trying to care for her. She'd gently ask me if I was having trouble sleeping if I tossed in the bed next to her, rather than kicking me out and telling me to stop acting like a mewling kitten unable to give its mother some peace and quiet. But she was so hard to give up because she wasn't just my mother, she was, what many of you probably feel too, my best friend.

Her parting words to me were, We're lucky to have each other, and looking at this amazing group of friends and family gathered here, I truly believe that she was right--we are all so lucky that she blessed us with her presence and that she made it possible for all of us to have each other in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment